1. When John F. Kennedy was shot (11/22/1963)
In the waiting room. You see, in my infinite wisdom I told my parents, when I was little, that there was a room before this world and you sat around and read magazines and watched TV so that when you got here it would make sense.
2. When Mt. St. Helens blew (5/18/1980)
I was in 5th grade; I don't remember precisely where I was at the moment. I remember the ash that COATED Eugene Oregon, since we were there in June of '80.
3. When the space shuttle Challenger exploded (1/28/1986)
In english class in high school.
4. When the 7.1 earthquake hit San Francisco (10/7/1989)
880 miles north of San Francisco in a shitty little burg named Olympia Washington going to college.
The earthquake was centered under a friend's dorm @ UCSC; I was, conveniently, several hundred miles north of Los Angeles when the big quake down there hit about a year later.
5. When the Berlin Wall fell (11/7/1989)
School in Olympia.
6. When the Gulf War began (1/16/1991)
sitting at Cafe Flore on Market Street in San Francisco. Second table of the ones in the middle-section fo the wing that goes towards the kitchen. My friend Jean and I stared at each other blinking, while this guy at the next table proceeded to curse up a blue streak.
7. When OJ Simpson was chased in his White Bronco (6/17/1994)
Mnn. I was at my parents' house, I think.
8. When the building in Oklahoma City was bombed (4/19/1995)
Don't honestly recall.
9. When Princess Di was killed (8/31/1997)
Living in SF, uhm... living with the evil one still then, I'm pretty sure.
10. When Bush was first announced President (11/7/2000)
He wasn't announced to be the president until 2001. His alleged victory in the race was announced in late November, after several back-and-forth noises.
When the rules were finally changed by the supreme court so as to make him the winner, I was sitting on the couch in the livingroom watching news.
11. When the 6.8 earthquake hit Nisqually, WA (2/28/2001)
At work, watching coverage online.
12. When terrorists knocked over the World Trade Center (9/11/2001)
I woke up, showered, was in the shower when housemate poked head into the bathroom and told me what had happened.